Jump to Section:
The Import Precincts Data page allows you to quickly create a criterion for your Voter Universe composed of precincts, by uploading a spreadsheet that contains a list of the precincts you want to include in the criterion. You can upload groups of Standard Precincts, Sub-Precincts, or Election Precincts. Once you have imported the data, it can be used just like any other criterion in the Create Voter Universe page.
- The Import Precinct Data page can be accessed during the Create Voter Universes process in the Geography tab. For more information about creating voter universes, please read the Create Voter Universes article.
Importing the File
There are three types of precincts that can be uploaded:
- Precinct w/Sub - These are both precincts and sub-precincts, which determine an individual's voting district.
- Precinct - These are standard precincts, which determine an individual's voting district.
- Poll. Precinct - These are election precincts, also known as polling precincts. These precincts determines a voter's polling location.
Importing the Precinct File
- Click the Browse button to select a file from your computer to upload.
- Use the Select File Type drop-down menu to select the type of file you are uploading. Note: If you are uploading a CSV or TSV file, select Text Files.
- If the first row of the file contains a header, activate the First Row contains Column Title checkbox.
- (Optional) If you are uploading a non-Excel file, use the three buttons below Separated by to select how the columns in your file are separated.
- If your file uses a separator other than a tab or comma, activate the Other button and use the textbox to enter in the separating character.
- Click the Continue to Field Mapping button to upload the file. Once you have clicked this, the Source Preview box will populate with a list of precincts from your file.
- Use the Select Column with ID value to Match drop-down menu to select the type of precincts the file contains. Note: Please review the sub-section above for information about these options.
- Use the Select Column with Matching Field Value drop-down menu to select which column of the uploaded file contains the precincts.
- Click the Import button to upload the file. You will then be taken back to the Create Voter Universes page, where the group of precincts will be automatically added to the Pending Criteria section and you can continue to build your voter universe. Please see the Create Voter Universes article for more information about building voter universes.