Jump to Section:
The Data Visualization page provides comprehensive data visualization for any Saved Universe in your account, or a universe of all voters in your account geography. You can access a similar visualization page from within the Create Voter Universes page to view visualization tools for a pending universe.
Tableau is an industry leading data visualization software technology that provides interactive maps, graphs, and charts. We have worked with Tableau to integrate their visualization tools directly into our PDI software. Once loaded, you can click on any element within the map, graph, or chart to recalibrate the entire page. For example, if you are looking a pie chart for party and want to only view Republicans, you can click on the Republican portion of the chart to change the entire page. Every part of the page is interactive and can be used to add new page filters.
We recommend spending some time exploring this page and everything it can do. As the PDI system continues to grow and add more and more data, having a tool like Data Visualization makes it possible to digest the growing amount of data.
- The Data Visualization page can be accessed by hovering your mouse over the Dashboard section in the Navigation Menu and clicking Data Visualization.
Data Visualization in Universe Creation
When you are creating a new universe and have added some criteria, you will see a box with counts.
Click View Tableau Visualization for Pending Universe to access data visualization.
Data Visualization Overview
The Data Visualization page can use any Saved Voter Universe as the base for a complete page of graphic visualizations. All you need to do is select your universe and click the Go button. If you click the Go button without selecting a Saved Universe, the program will create visualizations for your entire account geography. (This option is called Voter Counts in the Select Universe filter drop-down menu.)
A few seconds after clicking the Go button, the visualization page will appear, breaking down your account voter data by Party, Age, Ethnicity, Birth Place, Gender, and Geography. You will see a color-coordinated party breakdown within each of these variables.
- Red = Republican
- Blue = Democrat
- Light Gray = No Party Preference
- Dark Gray = Other Parties
You can click on any segment to recalibrate the page, or drag over the Age Distribution or Map Area to select a range of values.
In the upper right-hand corner of the map, you can select whether you want to view the map by Precinct, Senate District, Congressional District, or Assembly District. If you hover your mouse over the map, additional options for navigating and making selections on the map will appear in the upper left-hand corner. See Navigating the Map for more information about these options.
At the bottom of the page, you will find the buttons for Undo, Redo, Revert Refresh, and Pause. If you would like to save different views of the visualization, you can do that by clicking on View: Original. You will be asked to enter a name for the current view, and you will have the option to set it as your default view. Be sure to click Save.
In the bottom right-hand corner, you will find the Download, Full Screen, and Share options.
- The Download Option allows you to generate a PNG image or PDF file for distribution.
- The Full Screen lets you expand your page view to full screen.
- The Share Option makes it possible to publish your visualizations on your web forms via URL or Embed code. You can even email the links for views from this page.
Navigating the Map
When you hover your mouse over the map, a small sidebar will appear in the upper left-hand corner with five icons:
- Search (magnifying glass) - Search for specific locations.
- Zoom In (+) - Zoom in on the map.
- Zoom Out (-) - Zoom out from the map.
- Zoom Home (house) - Return to original view.
Additional Options (triangle) - If you hover your mouse over this icon, five more will appear to its right.
- Zoom Area - Zoom in on a specific area.
- Pan - Move around the map.
- Rectangle - Select a rectangular area on the map.
- Radial - Select an area on the map by radius.
- Lasso - Select a hand-drawn area on the map.
- For the last three options, click and drag on the map to select an area.
Current Support Tab
There is a second tab on this page, titled “Current Support,” that builds a visual profile of contacted voters broken down by support levels. The page has four sections:
- Precinct Map – This map shows the location of the precincts where voters were contacted and color codes the precincts by dominant party.
- Precinct Lists – The precinct list lets you see the precinct numbers and the support stats.
- Current Support Status – This section provides the cumulative support totals for each support level.
- Voters – The Voters sections lists the individual voters in each precinct with their Age, Support ID, and Party.
This page is also interactive. You can click on these objects to filter down the entire page.
Entire Account Geography Visualization
When you click on the Go button without selecting a Saved Universe, you will get a slightly different visualization page with drop-down menus to provide more geographic and demographic filters and tabs to provide different data views. The Current Support tab does not exist on this page.
You can click on any segment to recalibrate the page, or use the drop-down menus at the top of the page to filter and adjust the visualizations. You can even drag over the Age Distribution or Map Area to select a range of values. The tabs at the top allow you to choose different data views.
Some of the drop-down menus allow you to select multiple options. In these cases, All is selected by default. If you only want one or some of the options, be sure to de-select All before you make your selections.
The drop-down filters include the following:
- House Party
- Permanent Mail Ballot Voters
- PDI Likely Voter Universes
- Registration Year
- State Senate District
- Congressional District
- Assembly District
- Community College District
- High School District
- Elementary School District
The tabs include:
- Voter Counts (By Party)
- Voter Counts (Majority)
- Voter Distribution
- Voter Counts Map
- Voter AV Tracker
You can also choose to show results by total number of voters or by percentage of voters.